Sport and PE
Extend Learning Academies Network (ELAN) created a PESSPA (PE, School Sport and Physical Activity) Development Hub at Locking Primary School in North Somerset for primary school PE teachers and leads. Locking school provides the PE Hub with designated space for training and meetings and large outside space which includes large grass areas, playgrounds and a multi-use games area.
This has been a very successful venture for our trust schools and much has been achieved in all areas of PESSPA:
- PESSPA has a high status in all trust schools
- a quality curriculum plan is in place with a bespoke curriculum map and progression of skills
- PE leaders have an increased understanding of PE Sports Premium, including effective allocation, monitoring and reporting
- our champion has worked alongside all teachers in the trust on a 1:1 basis, modelling good PE teaching and providing advice to colleagues
- a series of additional events have been delivered successfully, with organisation, including transport and risk assessments, taken care of
- work has complemented, rather than competed with, the package provided by the North Somerset PE Association
Why is it important
We all know that physical activity strengthens the mind and the body. There’s loads of evidence which shows how important exercise is for our children from a young age and how this will impact them as they grow and develop. Schools play a really important role in this, giving many children their first taste of physical activity, participation in team sport and group activity, using equipment, what they can access and how, whatever their personal challenges and goals and much more. PE impacts so much on children’s wellbeing and life including attainment, concentration in class, confidence, aspiration, self-esteem, leadership.
By investing time in staff’s training, development, knowledge and confidence, not only will their own personal and professional development be positively impacted, but also the many children that take part in PE every single day.